October 9, 2012

Civil to Savage

At some point in time man walked with a refined savagery to his step. He was a civilized ogre in the realm of beasts, easily distinguishable from the animals he preyed upon. His disheveled attire, tousled hair and mud-stained skin did not render him easy on the eyes, but he was a man. He did not hunt fellow men out of pure spite, but hunted to eat, and ate only enough to silence the mumbles of his ravished paunch. I imagine there was no question of greed, since the civilized beasts hunted in groups and every member received his or her fair share of the feast. Every man stood on his own ground, not on the grounds, or rather the heads, of other men.

Nature had built their homes, but when these homes failed to shelter them from that same nature's own capricious winds, they simply left. Thus I wonder, were their souls not attached to the caves that housed them? Why did they not fight the force to maintain their grounds? How did they simply resign? How is it that they  were in full comprehension of the fact that some day those same capricious winds might find them in their next home, only to say: you must go back to where we met prior, since it is my time to sweep this region of its current state. 

What is it that the textbooks are not telling me? For I know they keep a secret from me, since the men in question are not animals as history suggests. They have stories aesthetically documented on the walls of their numerous god-given homes. They seem to have loved enough to come together and create more refined beasts. They seemed to have had some sort of community governed by the primitive laws of humanity. Albeit, they could not fly or keep time, nor did they have a Facebook and retain an ice box that could guarantee they would not go hungry tomorrow, they seem to have had minds. Brains that, despite their primitive state, did not allow power to fog their internal moral radars. They did not learn of human rights, nor were they policed by super-national global organizations. Simply, the refined ogre sought resources but only took what he needed. It did not occur to man that he had any right to seize that which belonged to another because I believe he knew, somewhere in his heart, that nature was generous. It simply could not give one man with out compensating for the right of another.

As such, these men I know of in the age of globalization appall me, for I fail to understand what they are made of or which breed of animal fathered such brutality. Adam was made of the earth and thus cherished it, but these men scorch land, and all that walks upon it, in utter carelessness. Their minds have succeeded to create modern means of convenience, but somewhere along time they seem to have traded in those brains, along with their hearts, for rocks. In fact, it may even be that they gifted their brains to some devil, for I do not know of a rock that could kill two million people in a few months. I do not comprehend the nature of that which drives man to fight with such viciousness for the right remain within a community that detests and repels him.

In vain I look to the scholars for answers to these inquiries, but they all point me to the refined ogre we stemmed off from. They tell me power is inconsiderate, blind, and chaotic. It corrupts all who embrace it, and after it engulfs their souls, it calls upon greed to join it. Then they say, it is merely human nature, my child. That is where they lose me. 

"Well, were Cain and Able not brothers? Did blood not kill blood?" They question me, claiming my confusion is out of place.

"Yes", I say. "But is the love of a woman not a noble cause incomparable to the love for power? A woman can love you back, but what reciprocal does power offer?"

"Oh my child, you speak with naivety! As is expected from a young soul who has not lived to learn. Have you not heard of the elevated stature power grants a man? Can you not see that to have power is to command fear in the hearts of others, to the extent that you rise above all. And from that exalted pedestal, my child, one can have all the women his heart desires!"

I am at awe...

"But what good is standing on a pedestal raised to height by the corpses of men murdered only to maintain said power? What good is stature when you only incite fear, to the effect that you become detached from humanity? Even the lion knows not to prey on his fellow coterie, and doesn't he continue to retain the title of King?"

"But you must understand that humans are more complex as a result of an intricate global society"

"If man is so esteemed, how is it that he does not create his society, as oppose to the vice-versa you speak of? In fact, he does and it is he who chooses to mold society from a convoluted clay."

I do not understand, nor do I wish to. I believe I am merely nostalgic for a time preceding mine by infinite centuries. As the rest of the world stands by idly watching, I can do nothing but apologize.

I apologize, dear Syria, that they refuse to hear your cries. It seems that to be re-elected and to maintain power is much more valuable than the blood of all your children combined. I understand you, for my people cry in vain too. THEY did not hear the whimpers of Darfur before you, nor the screeches of Rwanda before them so do not hold your breath for grace now. Excuse them, for they are color blind,  and bloody red does not fall within the spectrum of their sight. You and I do not have enough black gold to buy their attention. Basheer and Bashar do not hold appeals the magnitude of Saddam's. As such we must cry, and bleed, and die to prove that we are not animals. It is human nature to fight for survival for even our ancestral civilized ogres were faced with savage beasts much stronger, albeit they used to be furrier beasts, the ones you face today are indeed one and the same. Do not be fooled by their ability to walk on twos! They do not cry like we do, they do not eat what we do, they do not feel like we do, they are not of our same species. 

I would say be patient and that after every rain comes sunshine, but nature has failed to explain to me the origins of these "men". They are not habitual to the humane world you and I hail from. Indeed they are savage foreigners ungoverned by the moral norms that bind you and I, and as such I do not know how long they will execute their ill-guided ways upon your poor, burdened souls. 

But till you gain refuge, I apologize!

No comments:

Post a Comment